In 1927 there were approximately 58,000 Swiss Nationals living and working in London and although a number were in London Lodges under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of England, there was not a truly Swiss home for them, hence the enthusiasm for a Swiss Lodge in London. The founders were from a variety of trades and professions such as watchmakers and jewellers, hoteliers and restaurateurs, silk and other textile merchants, publishers and printers, import/export merchants and shipping agents and of course bankers. Helvetica Lodge No 4894 was consecrated at Freemasons’ Hall, Great Queen Street, London on 8th March 1927. The first Master of the Lodge was W Bro SP Tettamanti PAGP of Knightsbridge Lodge No. 2978 and the first Secretary and driving force who created the Lodge was W Bro Jack Schnieder of Manchester Lodge No 129.
Helvetica Lodge has become famous for their generous support of the Central Masonic Charities which they achieve by donating money to their Festivals. On Thursday 26th February 2015 at the Aeron Lodge meeting, RW Bro Stephen D Hookey, Provincial Grand Master of the Province of West Wales, was delighted to receive a magnificent cheque for £20,000, presented by W Bro Ron Knowlton on behalf of Helvetica Lodge. This very generous donation will go towards the West Wales 2015 Festival in favour of The Grand Charity.
In addition to this fabulous boost to the Festival, W Bros Tommi Jones, WM of Aeron Lodge and Iwan Jenkins, the Charity Steward presented a cheque for a further £5000 to the Festival.